- Covid-19 (coronavirus) is an infectious disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus which affects different people in different ways
- It can trigger a respiratory tract infection, possibly affecting your sinuses, nose and throat (upper respiratory tract) or your windpipe and lungs (lower respiratory tract)
- Infected individuals may develop mild to moderate illness and typically recover without hospitalisation
- BioSmart is a registered Covid-19 Testing Facility with the Department of Health and National Health Laboratory Service (NHLS)
- We currently offer two Covid-19 tests namely the Covid-19 Antibody Test Sample Kit and the Covid-19 RT-PCR Test
What is the test used for?
- The Covid-19 Antibody Test Sample Kit entails using a Dry Blood Spot Collection Kit to obtain a sample at home for analysis at our laboratory
- At the laboratory, we look for antibodies in your blood to determine protective Covid-19 immunity
- The Covid-19 RT-PCR Test is the best test available for the detection of the current SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Contact us to arrange a nurse to perform the Covid-19 RT-PCR at your home
- Final cost will depend on your location
What are antibodies?
- Antibodies are protective proteins produced by the immune system in response to the presence of foreign substances such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, allergens, venom and other toxins
- Antibodies may help to protect you from future infection and/or severe illness if you get infected (again)
- How long this protection lasts, however, can be different for each disease and each person
Samples are analysed at our accredited pathology laboratory to provide accurate results you can trust.
Your results will be emailed to you as soon as possible.